Your repeat prescriptions can be ordered in a number of ways at Beacon Medical Practice.
You are allowed to have your regular medication on repeat prescription at the discretion of your Doctor. Requests for these can be made in a number of ways:
- By telephone between the hours of 9.00 am to 12.30 pm and 1.30 pm to 4.30 pm.
- In person by bringing your tear-off repeat slip from your previous prescription to the Surgery
- By posting your repeat slip to the Surgery (please enclose a self addressed stamped envelope).
- By ordering your repeats electronically online. We offer a secure online repeat prescription service which can be accessed by clicking on the link to the left of this text. Before you can use this service you must register and obtain an user name and a password which can be issued by any of our receptionists.
Repeat prescriptions will be ready for collection within 24 hours, except for the weekend or Bank Holidays. If you order on a Friday, your prescription will not be ready for collection until Monday. You can request your prescription to be collected by the Pharmacy of your choice and if you choose this option, you must advise Beacon Medical Practice personally. Requests from your Pharmacy on your behalf cannot be accepted. Please note that if you choose this service, your medication will not be ready for collection from the pharmacy for 72 hours after your request – this is because Pharmacists require this time to allow them to process your prescription.
At least annually you may be asked to come in for a review of your medication before any further prescriptions are issued.
The following steps are required:
- Please, come into the Surgery reception and ask the receptionist to register you for Internet access. You will need to show your passport or photo driving licence to verify your identity and complete an Internet access registration form. Your access is subject to Terms & Conditions.
- Once you have registered at the Surgery then you may login to the service by clicking here or clicking on the Order Your Repeat Prescription Online link that is present on the top left side of any of our webpages.
- To sign in to your account you will need enter the security details that you have received from the receptionist.
Requesting a prescription
Once you are logged into the system, you will be able to request your repeat prescriptions. You will see your list of repeat medications. You can tick the ones you require to order and press the Request Medication button. If the item you require is not listed or you need to include further information with your request then enter this information into the ‘Medication request notes’ field.
Once your request has been submitted, a member of staff at the practice will process your request and will issue the prescriptions ready for collection within 24 hours, except for weekends and Bank Holidays.
Can I change my password?
Following your registration at the Surgery you will be issued with a randomly generated password. After logging in you can change your random password to a more memorable one. Passwords must be 8 or more characters long and must contain at least one number and one non-alphanumeric character, e.g. ‘!’ or ‘?’. To change your password click ‘Change Password’ link on the Home screen and follow the instructions. Memorise your new password. Do not write it down or disclose it to anyone else.
Updating your contact details
Using this system, you can also update your contact details if you feel that they are incorrect. Simply log in to the system and click on the Change Contact Details link on the Home screen. You may be contacted to verify the information.
What do I do if I have forgotten my password?
Unfortunately, we cannot search our system if you have forgotten your password. This is due to security reasons. You will need to come into the Surgery and request one of the receptionists to reset your account. A photo ID is required to confirm your identity. You will then need to re-register and another password will be issued. We apologise for any inconvenience caused but we hope that you understand this is a security matter.
Beacon Medical Practice has introduced the Electronic Prescription Service (EPS) and will enable electronic prescriptions to be generated by your GP or Nurse Practitioner, then transmitted, received and dispensed by the pharmacy of your choice.
If you sign up for EPS you will no longer get a green prescription when your GP prescribes you medication. Also if you order repeat medication you will not have to come in and collect your prescription from the surgery. Instead your prescription will be sent electronically and securely to a pharmacy of YOUR choice. You simply go straight to the chemist to collect your medication without having to come into the surgery. Read more.
If you are exempt from paying for prescriptions, please provide evidence of your exemption when collecting your medication.
From 1 April 2014 the cost of a prescribed item is £8.05. If you need more than 13 prescribed medicines each year, you could save money with a 12-month Prescription Prepayment Certificates (PPC). The cost of a pre-payment certificate for three months is £29.10, and a yearly one is £104.00. You can purchase a pre-payment certificate from the NHS Business Services Authority by phoning the prepayment certificate order line on the lo-call rate number 0300 330 1341, or apply on-line at website of the NHS Business Services Authority. You can also collect an application form from our Dispensary or download it here from our website and when you have completed and signed the form, send it with your cheque, postal order or credit or debit card details to:
NHS Help with Health Costs
PPC Issue Office
152 Pilgrim Street
Newcastle Upon Tyne